Saturday, January 28, 2006

the good, the bad and the ugly...

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Kozy

This morning I decided to check on my babywearing peeps over at TBW and found out that we will indeed be participating in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Kozy. I'm sooooooo excited about this, I actually signed up back in August and wasn't sure if we'd be picked or not. So you know, the Sisterhood is an effort by one mamma to spread the love around the world to other families via one of her carriers. As the plan was falling into place, one of the other mammas who signed up suggested that everyone participating make a small donation ($5) to be used towards a new Kozy carrier which will be donated to a women's shelter. We all embraced the idea, and a plan was formed. We should be receiving it in about a month! I'll post some pics then.

Even though I hate the term "babywearing" (brings awful visions of the Fur Industrial Complex to mind), I do love carrying my babe in one of the two carriers we have at the moment. He loves it too. If we were able to afford it at all, I'd own a LOT more carriers -- it's like jewelry or shoes, you want to accessorize! Forget diaper bags or strollers, I want a few more MeiTais, a couple of pouches, and I really wouldn't mind an Onbuhimo and a nice wrap. I love the freedom & closeness of having my baby next to me without killing my arms in the process and, intellectually, I love the history & tradition behind babywearing. Now you know.



got milk?

ok, so I have no idea how to try to get El Niño to drink milk. It'd be nice to wean him a *little* off the breast at this point. He'll drink water from his sippy cup and his new Dora straw cup (he loves this thing, almost as much as he loves Dora) but if I put milk in either of them, forget it. It's like you're trying to poison him. I've tried mixing up the milk with some yoghurt, and I've tried vanilla soymilk but nada, no-go. I'd really like some ideas on what else I can try, please?

pinching a loaf???

... or dropping the kids off at the pool? Well, until recently, I'd never heard these quaint American expressions. Mind you, I've spoken English for the last 31 years of my life and have lived on the West Coast for the last 12, yet I was still confused as to what people were referring to when I first heard them. AH-hemmmm, now I know (if you still don't after reading this entry, email me & I'll hook you up). El Niño dropped the kids off at the [bath]tub yesterday. We'd skipped any attempt at potty-training on Thursday because congestive misery had taken hold of our little family unit. But I was back at it yesterday and, after an unproductive 10 minutes on the toilet, I put him in the tub for a nice relaxing shower with me. By the time my clothes were off, I turned around to find... well, you can guess what I found. Fun times!

He later went pee-pee in the potty, when his Daddy asked him to. *sigh*

#################

So, since I'm now familiar with these lovely American expressions, I'd like to share a few of my own PuertoRican ones that are part of our gringo household.

debating the immortality of the crab = engaging in a futile argument, one which can never end or change anyone's mind (sounds like most of the conversations we have with our teenage son)

scare (or spook) the cold = to warm something just enough so that it's not cold from the fridge

with patience and saliva... = this is one of the strangest ones I encountered back home in PR, I found an actual dictionary of folk words and expressions compiled by an Anthropology student and the entire saying is "with patience and saliva, an elephant [penetrated] an ant". Ok, so it's all about persistence folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY Pinch a Loaf made it to your blog! Now, I must say, that is NOT a common term for pooping, but I use it when I'm trying to be sarcastic or funny sometimes. I heard it from my mother's old boss. There are a handful of others I use. At work, I tell my boss, "I'm going to room 318" if I'm going to be *ahem* gone a while. The BATHROOMS are actually numbered in our building. So, room 318 is ladies :D He thinks it's funny, and I'm nuts. So it's all good.

With patience and saliva sounds...delish :X ew.

If I was a baby-wearing mom I'd so have to get a number of different styles too. That'd be right up my alley. Have fun!

BITE MY COOKIE said...

nfw. that is some funny business. okay. fiirst of all - foo won't take milk in anything but a bottle. not an open cup, not thru a straw, or any other way for that matter. it's no tthe acutal milk i guess it't the soothing that comes with it, and quite frankly i can't say i blame him.

foo was busting out of her swaddle on day 3 of her little life. wearing her was out of the question. even tho we went to a seminar about sling tying and we wound up having an allergic reaction to the hostesses' cat.

anyway, i love reading all this stuff. and keep your elephants away from your ants. sounds like a k-y ad.

sorry about the loose poo. i am having issues with that myself today. foo's lucky they're not hers. she's a predictable pooper, thank goodness. this is officially the most random set of comments i have ever left anyone before. sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm Venezuelan. I know about the crabs one, but usually used when you're distracted and your mind wonders off, "thinking about the crab's immortality?". Something like that. ;)

The ant and elephant one, hahaha. That's an old joke, I can't remember how it goes exactly.. something about an elephant giving an ant a ride and then wanting something in exchange, he. ew.